Monday, February 18, 2013

To sync or not to sync, that is the question!



So, the jury is still out. One year after making the brave decision to move me and plugMEDIA.net into the cloud, I am unsure what is the best Cloud Drive space sync option. For anyone that knows me, I am quite partial to a little bit of Google with my cornflakes, coffee and pillow. So of course I had purchased Google Docs space the second it was available to buy. Only 5 bucks for 20GB a year. As a PC and Mac user at the time of my brave step there was no GDrive, so I went with iSync on the Mac. Free, light and wonderful to use. At that stage I was using the seemingly wonderful SyncDocs on my PCs. Then Google brought out Google Drive across the board and I thought fantastic. Google did it. Then it all got a bit messy.

!!!WARNING!!! As far as I can work out none of the above named apps provide an ability to recognize each others synchronised files. This is, the local copy of your online file system. Of course there's a local copy. What this means is, you start with one of the above Apps and voila, you are stuck with it. It places some form of code on the files, that were you to try and use say, SyncDocs to sync your nice sync'd files that iSync or Google Drive had created, it goes, they are not mine. No way. They are all blind. They just create a duplicate folder of every single folder and file. You might think, Sam Lyons, why are you wasting my time with this detail. As they so smartly say, the ones who dont ;) ;) lets not mention, the devil is in the detail. In this case the devil being, maybe you are using 50gb of sync'd folders and files, now your local machine will make a nice second copy of this and presumably, I didn't wait to find out this part, it will then try to make an online copy of the first copy of all the folders.

Next, sorry Google, I do still love you. Truely. Belated Happy Valentine's :P - Google Drive, din din diiiinn. Well maybe not so, din din. More like, flop, plop, drop. Say for instance, you need to move your Google Docs folder (this is what they call the local version of your cloud storage) to a different location on your computer. To say a different drive perhaps. Seems fairly normal thing to do. Well think again buddy and buddyets. Boom. Lets give that man double. It does the same thing. Makes a duplicate of every single file. You think someone might have thought. Ohhh. Maybe we need to look into this. Of course no one mentioned it to them. Or they did, and are currently frantically getting it sorted. Eh, ......... you can read more about their franticness may you wish here - http://tllg.net/yZUH (190 posts and 10 months later no resolution, apart from a what appears to be a computer automated reply from Google with the wrong answer). Still love you, please forgive my judgements :)

So in summary, you still here. Woah. I have made the decision. One size fits all. I feel and just in the last week took note, that iSync might be the winner. It seems to be incredibly fast with its sycn'ng. Like super. SyncDocs, nice app, they do charge a small fee of $19 a year, seems to be a bit like an old steam train. Takes a while to get moving, although does pick up some nice speed. Google Drive, until you respond to paying customers that have a grievance, I have to say I am disappointed with you. Go into the corner and lower your head. When you have thought about what you have done, I will be here to give you a hug. Finally, yes I do stop at some point. Maybe, just maybe, I need to be considering a more grown up cloud option. I do keep hearing about this blue box thingy, box drop or something. Kidding. Seriously, being using it for years. Never had a problem. Just never upgrade from the free account. Also, my habitual love of Google kept me away perhaps.

What do you think? Do you even care? Have you just wasted 8 mins of your life reading this because you were bored and work? Good for you. No seriously. Love to hear your thoughts on how you are integrating your life or business into the cloud. Now, back to real work Sam. Adios. Till next time. GoogleiSyncSyncDocs Sam x


No comments:

Post a Comment